In Germany there are numerous flat roofs. Many of them have significant problems in terms of their tightness. A good way to improve the seal, and at the same time to get even more benefits, is a green flat roof. However, there are clear differences between different greening approaches. The flat roof construction also plays a role. Below you will find information on what a green flat roof can look like.
The problem with flat roofs
In the 1970s, there was an unprecedented trend towards the construction of flat roofs. In fact, many of these existing flat roofs would still be tight today, but most flat roofs do not get enough maintenance and care. Improved materials for flat roof sealing also provide only limited relief.
Remedy against short life of the waterproofing - a green flat roof
One of the most important factors is the fact that the roof waterproofing is always exposed to the weather and therefore relatively short-lived. As a result, even with new flat roof constructions, this leads to a massive maintenance and care effort. However, it can be observed that a green flat roof counteracts this. Begr A green flat roof has many advantages
Among other things, the service life of the underlying flat roof waterproofing is significantly extended. This is particularly interesting because a green flat roof brings many more benefits.
the roof seal is spared and the service life extended
- thermal insulation
- sound insulation
- creation of a pleasant microclimate
- reduction of heat radiation
- reduction of the absorption of short-wave solar radiation (heat)
- effect like a drainage system with water storage
- creation of additional living space with a high recreational value
- The The importance of green roofs will continue to increase
The benefits of a green roof are indeed overwhelming. The very advantages that only affect the structural conditions speak for themselves. But if one observes the trend, which clearly goes to living in the big city, green roofs are of much greater value.
Advantages for yourself and your environment
With a green flat roof you create an oasis of peace and relaxation. In addition, they make a valuable contribution to positively influencing the climate in the city. Measurements have shown that the heat in the city compared to the country, which can be up to 10 degrees in some cases, thus significantly reduced.
The disadvantages are partially neutralized by subsidies
For this reason, the greening of a flat roof also involves numerous subsidies from the state, municipalities and federal states. This is a not to be underestimated aspect, because a green roof also brings with it a lot of disadvantages.
cost-intensive in the installation of green roofs mehr depending on the extent of greening more or less intensive care
- calculations of structural analysis by a recognized expert
- preparation of an approved construction plan
- building permit procedures
- requirements for the roof construction before and during the greening
- As you may already derive, acts it is all about economic disadvantages. The advantages that green roofs bring with them are clearly outweighed. However, there are also requirements for the roof construction. Thus, a warm roof is generally better suited for green roofs than a cold roof. The cold roof is ventilated, so it has an air layer in the layer structure. That's a static weak point.
Here, however, we already come to the differences between the various green roofs. Depending on the different load capacity of flat roofs, there are also different approaches for a green flat roof
- A green flat roof in the form of an extensive greening
- Extensive green roofing begins at a substrate height of 5 cm, making it suitable for mosses, lichens and sedum plants. Overall, the height of the substrate can be up to 15 cm and it is still an extensive greening. Possible plants are mosses, lichens, herbs, half-tall plants like grasses.
The intensive greening
In contrast, the intensive greening begins at about 15 cm. Up to a layer height of the substrate of 25 cm one speaks of a simple intensive greening. This allows shrubs, bushes and woods. Above (from 25 cm substrate layering) it is an intensive greening on which also trees can grow. With the layer increase costs rise as well as care needs of green roofs.
Tips & TricksYou should first go to the responsible building authority. There you can tell if you receive funding. In addition, statements can be made about the approval procedure.
Under no circumstances may green roofs be carried out by a specialist without static calculations. In addition, a flat roof expert should inspect the roof and check its suitability.Depending on the condition of the flat roof, it is recommended to completely rehabilitate the roof waterproofing immediately before the green roof. Of course, we also provide you with contributions in the house journal on [sealing a flat roof].