In contrast to pure decorative and ornamental surfaces, when painting a tabletop, there is a claim to be resistant to constant abrasion. Therefore, the types of paint should be selected to ensure a long shelf life. In addition to the surface strength insensitivity and uniformity are in demand.
Typical load types for painting
A table top is one of the most frequently used and most heavily used surfaces in a household. Different types of stress and strain return again and again. If the table top is to be used "naked", a durable finish is required. A painting and painting of the tabletop with inappropriate colors and paints quickly dulls the joy of the beautiful surface again.
Typical load types of a table top of a dining table consist of:
- Heat by placing drinking vessels, plates and bowls with hot contents.
- Moisture due to food and drink drops, as well as sweat and condensation under strongly cooled bottles and / or hot undersides of dishes.
- General skin contact, transferring the acidic protective particles of the skin protection cover to the table top.
- Hard objects with scratchy edges and tips such as cutlery and crockery or other utensils when crafting and playing at the table.
- Mechanical loads due to (light) bending of the table top under load, which can lead to fine and unsightly paint cracks if the paint is not painted properly.
Prepare and prime
The basic preparatory work for a paint job is similar to the preparations for all paint work on wood or fibrous materials. In order to guarantee an even distribution of the subsequent painting, a sufficient primer must be applied. The suction behavior of the entire tabletop surface must be harmonized, which is achieved by saturation of the material substance.
When processing and sanding, however, stable old coatings can make the preliminary work considerably easier. If the existing paint layer is substantially undamaged, it is often sufficient as a carrier of the new paint job. A light roughening by grinding with 300 grit creates a sufficient basis. The degreasing can be done with dabbing order of acetone dilution.
Types of lacquer and sealant
The lacquers must have a dry viscosity that prevents them from breaking. Therefore, "soft" seals are preferable. Water based paints are also better than solvent based products because of their food fastness. Alternatively, a glazing is possible.Tips & TricksSelect only products with the blue environmental gel when buying paint for your table top, in order to minimize the risk of harmful exhalations near the respiratory zone.