Again and again one hears the tip, with high mold load but simply to change lime color. How well lime actually helps against mold, why it is effective, and what should be considered when using lime and lime plaster, read in this article.
Mold pollution in households Sch Mold pollution - but also the risk of mold - are on the increase in modern households. The reasons for this are several:
Airtightness of buildings (insulation)
- Less and less moisture-regulating materials
- High insulation effect may also create very massive thermal bridges
- Less natural ventilation and less ventilation
- Increased use of mold-favoring building materials or construction techniques
- The cause of mold is always moisture , This can come from condensation processes, but also due to the low natural ventilation more and more collect in living spaces. There, this moisture creates optimal climate for mold.
Effect of limescale against mold
Lime - especially as lime paint and lime plaster - offers double protection against mold.
Lime is able to bind a high amount of moisture. Thus, the comparatively large wall surfaces can "buffer" a high humidity well. The excess moisture is absorbed by the lime plaster and gradually released again gradually.
Fungi, such as mold, can not thrive on strongly alkaline substrates, such as lime paint or lime plaster. They die there. This makes lime one of the most effective preventative mold killers one can have.
When using calcareous and lime paints
The effect of course has its limits. Completely soaked walls or massive condensation can still lead to mold growth. Of course you have to air regularly.
You also have to be careful to use pure lime paint and lime plasters. Chemical additives should not be included. In general, this is the case with natural producers, where everything is fully declared (this is not mandatory, but voluntary). Who wants to process his natural plaster itself, can also resort to Kalkstreichputz.
Tips & TricksLime cement plaster contains lime, but is not effective against mold.