A CNC milling machine you will hardly have in the garage as a home improvement - but routers are actually quite useful and especially very versatile tools for woodworking. How to deal with them correctly and what to do, read our article.
A router is one of the most versatile tools for woodworking, providing very precise results. Actually, it should not be missing in any workshop where wood is often used.
Routers are also quite cheap tools, already from around 70 - 80 EUR you get a quite useful and high quality router.
The name router therefore comes from always using the router above the workpiece . It can therefore be used for the following purposes:
- for very precise edge processing
- for the production of joints in furniture making
- for the production of other recesses in wood and for the production of very precise grooves
- for the production of decorations or engravings in wood
It is best to use a milling cutter marked with the letters AEC:
- A stands for suction
- E for electrical speed preselection and
- C for constant speed (is electronically regulated)
This ensures the best possible cutting results, the cutting performance of the milling cutter can always be adapted to different types of wood and their be adapted to different hardness.
The first thing to do is to prepare the tool. To do this, you must:
- Select and insert the desired milling cutter
- Set the desired Milling depth
- Select the desired speed
- Securely fasten (clamp in) the workpiece
Once the preliminary work has been completed, you can start milling:
- Press the switch-on lock
- Switch on the milling cutter
- Loosen the clamping lever
- Feed the milling cutter into the workpiece with an even feed rate as fast as possible.
- Release the clamping lever and bring the milling cutter back up
- Switch off the milling cutter.
In the beginning you will need some practice to guide the router very precisely but also quickly. This succeeds after some time but usually quite easily.Tips & Tricks Never set too large milling depths, because then the routing of the milling machine is usually more difficult. The lower the material removal, the easier it is to work. Always pay attention to your safety and work calmly and concentrated.