Even those who regularly have their heating system checked and maintained by a specialist company will find from time to time that one or more radiators in the house will only
become unevenly warm . Sometimes it is the characteristic sounds that point out that something is wrong inside the system. It usually begins with a slight rushing or clucking sound within a single radiator, which becomes audibly more intense over time and quite annoying, especially in the nocturnal silence. Now would be a good time to schedule a few minutes to vent the heater.How can air get into the heater? Even though it may seem like the exterior of heating systems to be closed or even hermetically sealed, this is far from the case. Stuffing glands, sealing rings and even the threaded connections of the pipes pass through different amounts of gases or even air during their natural aging process, even if they are initially only small quantities. Similarly, it is with the water in the heater that flushes microfine components into the system, which can trigger air bubbles. In older systems, the topic of rust plays a role at some point, which can settle on the inner walls of the tubes and generates an overpressure. Special features when moving to an old building
If an older house or apartment was not occupied for a long period of time, the venting of the heating system is usually particularly urgent. Often heard in such cases
this characteristic knocking in the pipes when the heating system is to be put back into operation after a few months or years. Although the time required for the work required is somewhat higher, it is very easy for the layperson to clean up even in the sanitary field . Due to age, however, there may be certain special features in such long unused plants, which will be discussed in the following sections.
Air in the heater promotes early wear
How important is it for tenants and owners of real estate regularly vent their heaters zeigt n, shows the following summary: Consequences of unwanted air and gas accumulation in the heating system Inadequate and non-uniform water distribution within the pipeline;cold or not uniformly warm radiators, especially in the upper storeys;
unpleasant whistling, gurgling or splashing noises;
Unwanted oxygen promotes corrosion throughout the cycle; formation of deposits and sludge in the boiler, as well as in the radiators of individual rooms;A poor circulation of water for a long time can cause overheating and other defects in the boiler;
Excessive wear due to erosion on radiator valves or circulating pump (air and other gases have approximately the same effect as sandpaper at these sensitive points);
- Increased additional costs through additional maintenance and repairs; Ent Bleeding time planning and material list for heating
- For an otherwise normally working and freely accessible radiator werden you will hardly need more than five minutes, for this work, even if the process has to be repeated again. Spare parts and special tools are usually not necessary, so the equipment is limited to the following aids:
- Commercially available radiator key (inside square) or matching ring or socket wrench,
- Possibly a screwdriver, as there is only one slot for loosening or tightening some valves instead of the hexagonal head;
- collecting container for water;
- cotton rags for wiping;
- If no radiator key is available, it also makes a so-called "bone", as it is used for assembly work on the bike. A (cheaper and sometimes too widened) open-end wrench should not necessarily be used, since the sensitive edges of the vent screws are otherwise turned off too easily by the unfavorable fit.
- Before you start venting the heater
Note that the heater may be under pressure and hot air or water may escape.
Sturdy shoes, protective gloves if necessary daher are therefore recommended - sandals or shorts rather not! Before the actual maintenance work is started, the circulation pump, which is usually located in the basement and there in the immediate vicinity of the heating boiler, must be switched off. If several tenants live in the house, the caretaker may have to be informed. After the system has been de-energized, wait for between 30 to 60 minutes to start venting in the first room of the house or apartment. Starting point for venting - always at the top The work can now be started on the highest radiator, after the corresponding thermostatic valve has been completely turned on. In a horizontal line opposite is at the outer edge of a screw, which now als first
- -up (ie counterclockwise) -rotated. Normal would be if after about half or at the latest after a full turn a moderate discharge of water, air or both is felt and acoustically a slight hiss can be perceived. Now you just wait so long,
- until the heating water bubble-free, continuously and silently fließt flows out of the opening of the screw, then this again, but not too tight to tighten.
- Possible problems
Screw has been painted several times: If the key does not fit securely due to the many layers of paint applied, the old paint remains must first be carefully removed (spatula, screwdriver or knife).
Bleed screw can not be loosened: Here, mostly rounded edges on the screw head are to blame. The greater leverage of a sturdy pipe wrench should help.
In the event that these attempts do not lead to success, there must be a specialist ran. Otherwise, there is a risk that it will damage the screw, which in the worst case may lead to later water leakage. Ent Bleeding the sequence of the other rooms for heating
After making sure that the
bleeding screw is firmly screwed in again und and remains dry, the thermostatic valve can also be reset to its original position. It continues with the next rooms on the same level, in which now the same steps are basically implemented, as just described. Thus, step by step and deeper, towards the basement, further worked, so that with the closing of the last venting screw in the entire system same pressure conditions , free of air bubbles should prevail. Finishing work and inspection of the system After the work has been completed in all rooms, the circulation pump may now be put into operation again, which after the heating should be vented a little time to the
operating pressure and the preset water temperature
- rebuild in full. The fact that these values are actually achieved is still monitored for a short time on the thermometer or pressure barometer. Afterwards a re-inspection in all rooms is recommended. The main focus is on
- suspicious noises
and look at the screw connections of the vent for possible water leakage. Possible problems Operating pressure drops: If larger quantities of water have escaped during venting, then the
water level must be corrected directly on the heater afterwards
d. H. be refilled. Radiator is still not getting properly and evenly warm: the source of error here is often a calcified thermostatic valve , which is also easy to diagnose on its own or can be replaced in the event of damage. Clamp the thermostatic valve: To do this, unscrew the adjustment knob on the regulator and loosen the union nut with a pipe wrench. The now exposed valve spindle in the middle must be easy to press in, and then return to its original position by itself. If she does not do that, the faulty valve should be exchanged for something new.If one of the wear parts has to be replaced, it is best to take the old part beim with you when you buy a new one
. There are some very different types and designs, such as the thermostatic head, which is available with both a screw nut and with integrated snap connection. So you can turn to the specialized staff in the hardware store and avoid expensive bad purchases. Ent Save time for heating save - It works too !?
Due to the principle that a heating system is a self-contained system, the conversion to automatic ventilation only combats the effect and not the cause of the air bubbles. The automatic valves make this a little easier. Nevertheless, a heating specialist or landlord should be consulted for more frequently and acutely occurring printing problems. The vending machines are already available in retail as a double pack from just over € 10 upwards and offer the following advantages: uncomplicated replacement on standard radiators; Integrated source discs prevent the escape of heating water; Ent vent saving of heat energy by permanent and independent heating; saving time, since manual work is completely eliminated;
Elimination of the disturbing noises from the radiators. Miet Do tenants have to vent their heating themselves?
- They may at least and it is also advised that they, especially if it is more often necessary to inform their landlord or a possibly responsible for the property caretaker, about it. After all, it is possible that as a result of the venting carried out, water must be added to the central heating system, which would be outside the tenants' responsibilities. Also for a change of the thermostats
- or the conversion to automatic ventilation valves, the tenant might be under obligation, if in his lease a clause is included, in which the takeover of small repairs in terms of value fixed with a fixed amount. Although in terms of professional competence is that in principle any person who is able to turn a key in the front door lock would also have the abilityto vent his own heating
- : No one is obliged by law and who has the fear, accidentally turning off a screw or being held responsible for a flood should not do this work on its own. Maybe a nice neighbor helps out or a skilled colleague jumps in.
Tips & TricksThe venting screws on the radiators may be very tight. They are difficult to solve if they have not been moved for a long time. Never use force, as the threads can be damaged so much that they can not be tightened afterwards and water runs out of the heater.