Leather care is the focus of attention on a sofa with a genuine leather cover. The natural product can not deny its origin as a skin. All types of leather needed a certain amount of moisture and did not like very dry air. When choosing the method and means also the leather type and processing plays a role.
The general care tips for a leather sofa are similar in the basic tasks for all types of leather and types of processing. To care for each leather sofa include:
- Weekly dedusting of the couch with cloth, rag or soft brush
- Semi-annual impregnation
- In case of stiffening caused by moisture hand-kneading / walking
- Do not use cleaning products containing oil or grease, as rancidity can occur
- Moisten monthly with distilled water
A common feature of leather on a couch is its partially intense odor. The natural product does not have its specific odor, but it can be lessened by a few aids:
- Wipe off with a water-based vinegar solution in a ratio of equal parts.
- Sprinkle with sodium carbonate (baking soda, soda), cover with airtight coating and after 24 hours Brush off or carefully vacuum off.
- Apply special leather grease according to manufacturer's instructions.
Depending on the design and surface structure, leather has the habit of also binding odors from the environment. Food odors, stale air, mold, and smoker's smoke can lead to musty smell.
- Use the same means as for the leather odor
- Ventilate the sofa, where draft can be supported by fans
- Never use odor neutralizing finished products and sprays
- Professional ozone scouring from the car treatment
- Distribute freshly ground coffee on the leather and remove after 24 hours
Any occasion-related Nursing has also visual effects on the leather surfaces. Basically, as a side effect often a refreshing of the color is observed. The following methods are used for color refreshment:
- Special leather dyeing sets with preparer, leather color and sealer
- Leather spray colors especially for open and rough suede types
- Leather and saddle fats with color pigments
Nurturing and gentle additional factors
- Location not next to or in front of a heater
- High humidity from seventy Avoid percent
- Avoid high air dryness from twenty percent onwards
- Only use alkali-free cleaning soaps
- Saddle grease for working up smooth leather
Characteristics of different types of leather
Care must be taken to observe the type of leather and the work-up method. There are four main varieties that can be distinguished:
- Smooth leather with or without coating, usually with closed pores
- Soft and skin-warm aniline or suede with open pores, mostly colored
- Rough leather with open pores like buffalo, nubuck and suede
- Leather with Wax patina coating
Leather coated with plastic should not be counted as genuine leather. Most of polyurethane (PU) existing top layers correspond to artificial leather. They take the decisive advantage of the natural leather.
When using care products, the treatment and type of action must first be set to the open and closed-cell variants. While smooth leathers and patina-coated varieties allow moisture to bead off, they infiltrate open pores and cause stains.
When choosing home remedies for leather-based cleaning, the rule of thumb is to only use dry-working substances such as powders and dry foams if the leather has open pores. This also applies if the sofa is cleaned by professional providers.
Elasticity of the couch obtained
Impregnating agents must be adjusted to the type of leather, in order to cause no traces and not limit the leather in its elasticity. Even if natural leather appreciates a basic moisture content, the liquid feed must be dosed very carefully. Apart from the possible staining wet leather changed its elastic properties.
If leather has been accidentally soaked, it is advisable to take immediate care of yourself. For this, a nourishing special agent should be used, which is incorporated in the affected areas together with a kind of material massage.
Extensions, holes and cracks
Every mechanical damage must be decided on a case-by-case basis. Abanding lint on the surface will, if the substance has remained stable, be cut off to prevent an increase in "run-off". Holes and cracks should be immediately closed with special agents such as liquid leather. In the course of every repair a nurturing "massage" is recommended.
The crucial and most valued haptic properties of leather surfaces are often affected or impaired by care treatments. If care products are to be used to repel pollution, the functionality is important. An occlusive sealing effect does not affect sensitivity, but also changes, for example, sweating in contact with human skin.
In case of doubt, inquiries should be made with professional leather connoisseurs who are not usually found in furniture stores. Chambers of crafts, saddlers, upholsterers, tanners are keywords in the search independent independent opinions and references.Tips & TricksWith a leather sofa, you purchase a natural product that does not provide complete "clinical" cleanliness and appearance, according to its origin. Very sensitive and bright sofa covers should be temporarily covered in risky activities such as eating, drinking or playing children and pets.